Sports massage addresses the particular needs of athletes and is typically used before, during, and after athletic events. The purpose of sports massage is to prepare the athlete, (whether a recreational walker or professional athlete) for maximum peak performance, to drain away lactic acid, to relieve swelling, to reduce muscle tension, to promote flexibility and to prevent injuries. Sports massage combines a range of massage techniques to address specific needs of athletes. Such techniques include myofascial release, Swedish massage, cross-fiber friction, deep compressions, trigger point therapy and facilitated Stretching.
Key Benefits of Sports Massage Include:
- Improved blood flow and nutrient delivery to your muscles
- Efficient clearing of harmful metabolic byproducts
- Tension reduction in your fascia
- Reduction of your scar tissue
- Improved tissue elasticity and improvements in your tissue’s ability to absorb nutrients, also known as micro-circulation.
Sports Massage at Sporting or Team Events
Elite Body Mechanics can provide sports massage pre, during or post performance for sporting teams regardless of whether you are a small local team or large international team. We provide services either on-site anywhere around the Gold Coast or at our clinic in Nobby Beach.
- A pre-event sports massage is a short, specific treatment given immediately before (30 minutes- 24 hours before) a sports event. The goal of massage is to increase your circulation, flexibility and mental clarity to improve your performance.
- Recovery is the primary purpose of post-event sports massage. Athletes push themselves harder during an event than while training. It’s your competitive spirit pushing you to the limit. For example, during a marathon most athletes run a greater distance during the event than they’ve ever run during their training. A massage afterward is vital to assist a hasty pain-free recovery.